I really like to cook for my family and try different recipes. This week I made us stuffed peppers. My son literally ate 3-4 plates of it and still asked for more. I warned him that we need to keep some for father.
I used regular green peppers as it is so hard for me to find those little yellow soft peppers that one could find in Europe, or specifically, Balkans. These yellow soft peppers make it taste so yummy. But we have to do what we have to do.
This recipe takes about 1h20m in total and it is only 248 cal per serving. This is adjusted for 6 servings.
Prep: 20 m
Cook: 1 h
Ready in 1h20m
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned.
- Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)
- In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
This is great to serve with mashed potatoes. As my husband loves rice I also made sure I have some extra cooked rice. Several tomatoes and boiled broccoli and cauliflower with butter on them made a perfect meal. Good luck with making this!