Bitterleaf soup is likely one of the most conventional soups in Nigeria. It’s native to the Igbos of Japanese Nigeria.
The title is kind of deceptive in nicely ready Bitterleaf Soup mustn’t have even the slightest bitterness. That is achieved by washing and squeezing the bitter leaves (and altering the water at intervals) until all traces of bitterness has been washed off.
Washed and squeezed bitterleaf – A handful
10 small corms Cocoyam
three cooking spoons Purple Palm Oil
Assorted Beef: Contains greatest reduce, shaki (cow tripe)
Assorted Fish: Dry Fish and Inventory Fish
Pepper, salt and floor crayfish (to style)
three inventory cubes
1 teaspoon Ogiri Igbo (conventional seasoning)
- In case you are outdoors Nigeria, you should utilize dried, washed and squeezed bitter leaves however it is advisable to start with make the bitter leaves delicate and contemporary once more earlier than including them to the soup.
- In the event you can’t purchase cocoyam corms the place you reside, you should utilize cocoyam flour. An alternative choice to cocoyam flour is potato flour.
- Ogiri Igbo is non-obligatory, it offers Bitterleaf Soup a standard style.
Earlier than cooking:
Be sure that the bitter leaves are nicely washed, such that there isn’t a hint of bitterness left. If not, wash and squeeze it extra. If the bitterness can’t be fully washed off (which is often the case with most washed bitter leaves offered out there), boil it for about 15 minutes and wash in chilly water.
Wash and cook dinner the cocoyam until delicate. Take away the peels and use a mortar and pestle to pound the corms to a clean paste.
- Boil the shaki (cow tripe), inventory fish and dry fish in 1 litre of water until they’re nicely achieved. First signal of a achieved shaki is that the cuts will begin curling on itself.
- Wash the meat and add to the pot of shaki and so on. and proceed cooking. When the meat is completed, add three cubes of Maggi/Knorr and cook dinner for five minutes.
- Add pepper, floor crayfish, bitter leaves (in the event that they haven’t been parboiled) and cook dinner for 10 minutes. Then add the cocoyam paste (in small lumps) and the palm oil then go to step 5.
- Cowl the pot and depart to cook dinner on excessive warmth until all of the cocoyam lumps have dissolved. You may add extra water when you really feel that the soup is just too thick.
- Add salt to style and the soup is prepared
Serve with Garri (Eba), Semolina Fufu, Amala, Cassava Fufu or Pounded Yam.