Garden Egg Sauce may well be the best sauce for Boiled White Yam. It contains palm oil which bubbled yam adores. It can likewise be set up with vegetable oil yet I don’t suggest that. Continue perusing for subtle elements.
Garden Egg Sauce is the perfect match for:
- Boiled White Puna Yam (best combo)
- Boiled Plantains
- Boiled White Rice (when cooked with vegetable oil)
- Boiled Potatoes (when cooked with vegetable oil)
8 big garden eggs
1 cup palm oil
Habanero Pepper & Salt (to taste)
1 small ogiri okpei (iru)
2 small smoked mackerels
Always buy baby garden eggs. These are garden eggs that are harvested as soon as they mature. If they over-mature or are even beginning to ripe, the seeds will be very tough and hard for the blender to grind. Even worse if you are using a mortar and pestle. I prefer the white or off-white variety of garden eggs for this recipe. You can also use the green variety.
You can use eggplant or aubergine as alternative for garden eggs. In that case, use about 3 for the stated quantities of ingredients. Fry with palm oil if you will use the garden egg sauce for boiled white yam or boiled plantains. Fry with a tasteless and odourless vegetable oil if you will use it to eat boiled white rice or boiled potatoes. In my opinion, this sauce should only be prepared with palm oil because it is more delicious. Palm oil gives the sauce a unique delicious flavour.
The palm oil adds colour to this sauce. This means that when you fry with vegetable oil, it does not look as appetizing. Ogiri okpei (iru) is a traditional seasoning made from locust beans. If you do not have it, use stock cubes. Also, when preparing this recipe with vegetable oil, use stock cubes. You should add enough palm oil to fry the garden egg puree. Palm oil is good for you! If you are in Nigeria use a milk cup to measure the palm oil.
You can use boiled mackerel if you do not have smoked mackerel but smoked is the way to go.
- Don’t have a blender: mortar and pestle
1. Flush the garden eggs exceptionally well and expel the stalk.
2. Mix the garden eggs. There are 3 approaches to transform the garden eggs into a smooth puree:
a. With a blender:
i. Cut the garden eggs into little pieces.
ii. Put in a blender and pour simply enough water to enable the cutting edges of your blender to move.
iii. Mix till smooth.
b. With a mortar and pestle:
i. Heat up some water in a pot.
ii. Include the garden eggs and keep on cooking till the are delicate.
iii. Peel the water-confirmation skin of the garden eggs.
iv. Pound in a mortar till a smooth puree is accomplished.
c. With a sifter:
i. Cut the garden eggs into little pieces.
ii. Put the garden egg pieces in a pot and pour some water to an indistinguishable level from the substance of the pot.
iii. Cook till the pieces are delicate, sufficiently delicate to dissolve when you press with a fork.
iv. Continue cooking till all the water has dried.
v. Fill a sifter with a wire work or some other harsh strainer and crush it up.
3. Cut the onion into little pieces.
4. Pound the pepper and ogiri okpei in a mortar till smooth.
5. Set up the smoked fish on the off chance that you don’t have a few and separate them into little pieces.
6. Begin cooking the yam or the staple sustenance you will present with the garden egg sauce.
- Empty the garden egg puree into a perfect pot and cook till all or all the water becomes scarce. Put it aside. Avoid this progression in the event that you arranged the garden egg puree utilizing step b above.
- Empty the palm oil into a perfect go pot and warmth it away. Try not to blanch it, you just need to warm till a bit of onion sizzles when added to the hot oil.
- At the point when the oil is sufficiently hot, include the onions and sear for around 2 minutes.
- Include the garden egg puree and blend for a bit. Cover the pot and cook-sear for quite a while and mix once more.
- Rehash stage 4 till the little measure of water in the puree went away. the paol oil will likewise be isolated from the puree.
- Include the ogiri okpei and habanero pepper mix at that point add salt to your taste.
- Include the smoked fish, blend, cover and leave to stew and it’s finished!
Utilize the Garden Egg Sauce to eat Boiled White Puna Yam (best combo), Boiled Plantains and Agidi/Eko. On the off chance that you browned the sauce with vegetable oil, use for Boiled White Rice and Boiled Potatoes.