This Nigerian meals is similar to the fundamental Nigerian Jollof Rice. Nevertheless it appears to be like higher and has a barely totally different aroma and style to it because of the added greens. Why not strive one thing totally different for dinner by including simply 2 well-known greens?
three cigar cups (750g) lengthy grain parboiled rice
500mls Tomato Stew
5 medium carrots
1 large inexperienced bell pepper
1 complete rooster (hen)
Chilli pepper (to style)
Salt (to style)
2 medium onions
three inventory cubes
2 teaspoons curry powder (Nigerian curry powder)
1 tablespoon thyme
Earlier than preparation:
- Put together the tomato stew. It’s advisable to organize tomato stew earlier than hand and hold within the freezer. That is in order that everytime you need to prepare dinner any jollof rice associated dish, it’s only a matter of including it to your cooking.
- If you’ll use complete rooster then wash and lower it into items. Prepare dinner with the thyme, Knorr cubes and a couple of bulbs of onions (chopped). The cooking time is dependent upon the kind of rooster. The rooster or cockerel cooks a lot sooner than the hen however the hen is certainly tastier. When executed, grill it in an oven. You might also fry it. That is to provide it a golden look which is extra presentable particularly if in case you have friends for dinner.
- Parboil the rice utilizing the tactic detailed in parboiling rice for cooking jollof rice. Rinse the parboiled rice and put in a sieve to empty.
- Pour the rooster inventory and the tomato stew into a large pot and depart to boil.
- Add the drained parboiled rice, curry powder, salt and pepper to style. The water degree must be the identical degree of the rice. That is to make sure that all of the water dries up by the point the rice is cooked.
- Cowl the pot and depart to prepare dinner on low to medium warmth. This manner the rice doesn’t burn earlier than the water dries up.
- When the water is nearly dry, add the diced carrots, cowl the pot and proceed cooking.
- When the water is totally dry, flip off the warmth. Add the diced inexperienced pepper and stir the rice with a wood spoon.
Why cannot we add the inexperienced pepper once we added the carrots? It’s because inexperienced pepper is a delicate vegetable so even the slightest warmth is sufficient to get it executed. If added simultaneously the carrots (that are more durable) they are going to turn out to be uninteresting and unappetizing by the point the water is totally dry. So to maintain the inexperienced pepper inexperienced and looking out recent, we have to add them when we’ve turned off the warmth.
Serve with Fried Plantain, Nigerian Moi Moi, Nigerian Salad or Coleslaw.